Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Living Without...

You don't realize how much you use something until you have to live without it...take, for example, this microwave
this crusty, old, ancient, at least 17-year-old microwave. It decided to kick the bucket yesterday. It started making a really loud noise when you turned it on and then you could smell what must have been smoke from the beginning of a bad electric connection and your food never did get warm!

OK, so what to do? I wanted to warm up a leftover biscuit for my breakfast this morning - I can do this! I grew up in a home without a microwave, but geez, that was over 30 years ago!

So, I pulled out the trusty aluminum foil (my husband uses this stuff way too much! He wraps everything in foil before he puts it in the frig! I tell him - "good grief! Use a plastic container once in a while!")
Wrap the biscuit up in foil and after just a couple minutes in the toaster oven...VOILA!
Oh, the buttery goodness!
I remember my mother had a frying pan that actually had dividers in it - 3 sections - and we used to warm up leftovers in that pan on the stove before we got a microwave. Two spoonfuls of green beans in one compartment, leftover macaroni and cheese in another and throw in a little white rice in the last compartment - don't forget to add a little water to the rice to help it cook!
My mother taught me well and we still have leftovers at our house on Wednesday nights - this week should be interesting as I don't have that handy frying pan!
>^..^<~
Jenn

1 comment:

Corrie said...

I can relate. My microwave broke last fall. It was like being pioneer woman. Never appreciated it so much.

p.s. glad your son found a job. He sounds thoughtful and faithful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails