Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Breaking away...

...from quilting drudgery, that is.


Typically, when I do any machine quilting it's just the standard free motion meandering or stippling.


I find it easy and safe.


When I finished my most recent baby quilt top, I wanted to try something different - to break out of the machine quilting box I kept myself in.
I saw a tutorial somewhere online for free motion quilting in a simple flower design and it looked somewhat easy.

So, after a little practice, I just jumped right in and my first attempts turned out pretty good, but I kinda got sloppy as I went along and found it hard to see where to go to next to create the next flower.

So, I pulled the quilt off and got out the coin jar and placed pennies where I thought looked like good spacing for the flower centers.


And then I just drew a rough circle around those pennies with my erasable pen.


Back to the machine I go!!





Photobucket

3 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Great quilting. Handy tip with the penny placement. I find it hard at times to see where I've been and where I'm going. Pretty fabrics.

Love Of Quilts said...

Your flowers are just fabulous. Trish

trish said...

I love your penny idea. I need to remember that. Your quilting looks great!
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Related Posts with Thumbnails