Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday Sewing

Thanks for all the nice comments on my curtain job for the girls.  We installed them last night and everyone seemed to think they looked great.

We had a delicious meal of salad and pizza, engineered by our youngest daughter - you can't beat that on a Friday night - especially when you don't have to cook it yourself!  Aldi sells a very tasty pizza and for the price of $3.69 you can't beat that, either!!!  :)

Then we settled in to watch Matt Damon in "Green Zone" and the girls were excited to close their curtains for the 'dark theatre' experience!  I have to admit it was a rather dull movie (for me) and I slept thru much of it.

Yesterday I started on a new quillow project.  I have two charm packs of Sultry and, as usual, wanted something simple to make.  Sultry has lots of pink, green and brown in it and I wanted basically one of those colors for the coordinate....I settled on pink.  Pink is not a favorite of mine - actually brown is truly my favorite color - but this quillow is not for me...it will go into the shop.

I started with one printed charm and another of the pink to make half square triangles (HST).  I like to cheat when I make HSTs simply because I am lazy.  I don't like to draw my line down the middle so I thought I'd do it the quick way and put a fold down the center.  Naturally all you have to do is fold the square in half diagonally and you have your line, BUT you must be very careful not to stretch or pull at all so you don't distort the fabric.


Once I have this done, I set my presser foot so the 1/4" measurement is on the left hand side instead of the right.  I sew with the left side of my presser foot next to the fold, chaining each set of squares until I have them all sewn on one side.

Then, I carefully flip the chain around and do it again, so the fold is still on my left.

Anywhoooo, I've got a stack of 160 of these squares and now I have the task of deciding which arrangement I want to go with.

The hubby likes the mixed up pinwheels look, but, frankly, I'm sick of pinwheels and sometimes the placement of those squares gets just a bit too confusing for me - I can imagine it's even more confusing when the pinwheel is all sorts of colors.

He calls this one the envelope layout

I guess it does look like envelopes if you flipped it over!

Here's a mixed-diamond look

and then you have the standard triangle-in-the-corner look

I'm sure there are so many other arrangements - what did I miss? Any suggestions?  What do you think - I'd love to have lots of input on this one.

Well, it's time for our Saturday morning breakfast date so I best get out of my pajamas and into my Saturday clothes!

Have a great day, y'all!!

2 comments:

trish said...

Hi Jenn.
Your curtains look fantastic!! And what a fun night of pizza and salad. :o)
I personally like the "envelope look" for your layout. :o)
Have a great Saturday!
Trish

Shay said...

Big fan of the triangles on the side here ...although I may be trying to live vicariously through your quilting adventures since I have one of those on my "to do " list.

Related Posts with Thumbnails