Saturday, September 4, 2010

I did it again...

I usurped another room in our house for my sewing kingdom.
 
Since we are empty nesters and have a much-too-big house for just the two of us, I guess it's only fitting that I do my best to utilize it until the day we can sell it and move into something more reasonably sized. 
Daughter #1 moved out in June and her room has been gathering dust ever since.
I guess what prompted the desire to expand more so than just an empty room was that with my prior sewing machine arrangement, I had to get up and squeeze into my other sewing table.
 
Side note...I truly feel for those who don't have a sewing room at all and have to lug their machine out of the closet and use the dining room table - my heart goes out to you!  If my livelihood wasn't dependent on my sewing right now then I probably wouldn't have such a large sewing dominion. :)
 
Anyway, we decided to move my cutting table into the empty room and turn that room into a cutting area and the place to tie quillows.
 
I pulled my craft show table from the garage, cleaned it up and am using it for a table in my main sewing room.
 
We visited some Goodwill stores in the area last weekend and scored a nice bookcase for $10 that needed a little 'love', which my husband did quite well - he nailed it up, cleaned it up and delivered it so quickly it made my head spin!
 
So, I spent most of Monday afternoon, folding some pretty fabrics and stacking them neatly in my new storage.
 
I also found another cute little curio case my husband made for one of the kids that they left in the garage - cleaned it up and stacked some fabrics in it, too.
 
I rearranged my sewing tables so that I can move from one machine to the other quickly and easily.  This means I'll use my Brother more often because it is easier to get to.
 
All in all, it's a nice arrangement and I'm happy with it.
 
Remember this puzzle...?
 
...and the tutorial for turning it into a wall decoration?  (you can see it in my room in the above pictures)
Well, I'm just about finished with the next one and hope to turn it into a wall decoration soon.  I set it up back in May when my Mom was here for Mother's Day because she said she'd been wanting to do a puzzle.  She worked quite a bit of it and then left, so it sat for several months in the living room as I was busy helping build a house and such....too tired at night to mess with it.
 
I also found another on clearance at Connecting Threads and look forward to working on it next.
 
Well, now that I've given you a tour of my sewing kingdom, I must be getting to the Saturday chores - laundry and a bit of house cleaning (emphasis on a bit) and hopefully I can find time to sew today - I've got a wonderful stack of sewing movies just waiting for me!
 
 
Perhaps a banana cream pie is in the works, too!  Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!
 
P.S.  Thanks to all for the well-wishes and suggestions about my achy feet - I really appreciate the comments and tips you gave!  I could only stand wearing my shoes in the house for one day, so I'm still working on a remedy! 
 
 
Photobucket

5 comments:

quiltingnana said...

nice post about finding room for quilting...I use a guest bedroom right now and really appreciate not having to drag a machine out like I did before we moved into this house. I use a folding table for cutting too...I bought some bedrisers at Walmart and that brings the table up to cutting heighth...

Karen said...

....you are one lucky lady! I heart my sewing room...I feel very blessed to have one.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Laughing so hard here at the phrase "Sewing Kingdom".

I might just steal that since I cannot bring myself to call my sewing room a "studio" without feeling stupid.

There is nothing more happy than seeing stacks of folded fabric on shelves. You must be feeling delirious !

Homemade Quilts by Granny said...

Its marvelous that you have to much room and can use it for your sewing....you never know when you'll need it again....I down sized once and I am in need of more room now.....you have so much pretty fabric and that's a great idea to use shelves to store it. God Bless Trish

Michelle said...

I love NEW spaces, and I love rearranged spaces. I feel your happiness, and it looks GREAT! Loved looking at all your 'eye candy'.
Have a great week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails